I'm using this Zone way of eating as a bit of a challenge - there's always a debate around whether or not ricotta is considered Paleo and I'm in the camp that it's probably not - but that really limits your protein foods when you limit it to meat and shakes. Ricotta gives you lots of options, both sweet and savoury and here's a little recipe from the Grow Eat Kitchen today! As you can see from the photo - wow, they were so pretty and tasted delicious!
What you need (Makes 5)
- 300g ricotta (5p)
- 3 eggs - separated (3p)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (6f)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 vanilla pod
- 220g strawberries (2c)
- 255g blackberries (3c)
- Separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites until they are white, foamy and can hold their shape.
- In another mixing bowl combine the ricotta, egg yolks, baking powder, coconut flour, water and vanilla seeds from the vanilla pod and mix until they are well combined.
- Add a small amount of the egg whites to the mixture and fold in, then add the remainder. You want this combined - but don't over mix! You want this mixture light.
- Heat a fry pan and add 1/2 a cup of the mixture for one pancake, put this on a medium heat and leave for a good 3-5 minutes, wait until the pancake is nearly set before flipping. The other side will only need 1-2 minutes.
- While the pancakes are cooking, in a saucepan add the strawberries, blackberries and the empty vanilla pod (the same one you just scraped the seeds out of). Cook this mixture gently on the stove top until the berries start to break down and a syrup forms. Let this mixture cool.
- Serve in a stack with berries on each layer and then topped in the berry goodness!